About you article review....
- finding the thesis doesn't seem to be a problem! Nice work
- the details chosen to support the thesis were almost always right on. Some of you relied on quoting directly from the article, others paraphrased. Either of these are acceptable
- WHERE OH WHERE were the annotations? Highlighting and underlining do no an annotation make.
- personal responses were lacking depth and proof of understanding. See below for suggestions for next time:
In a personal response, your opinion is what matters, and the word "I" is welcome. Review the article on the therapeutic effects of laughter and decide what you think or feel about it.
- Freewrite or cluster notes on your reaction to the article. Do you agree or disagree, does anything in the article surprise or upset you, do any of the details remind you of something, etc.? Pick one main point that expresses your response and write it in a single, clear sentence that includes the word "I."
- Starting with that sentence, go on to explain your response by giving details, examples, and reasons. Stick to one main point, but develop it so that readers will understand exactly why you feel the way you do.
- End with a sentence that returns to the key term of your main point. Review the paragraph and make it do its work in under 100 words.
- Topics to think about: is there any information you would need to understand the article better? Do you think the author left anything out that would help the reader? What questions do you have about research presented? Your thoughts and questions can help you analyze the article.
About the regions and 5 themas assignment...
- there is a lack of specifics! At time, I wasn't sure if you had even looked the information up. Both required a touch of research. I read many generalizations and much work showed lack of understanding. :(
- I'm betting you were rushed and lost focus on the objective of both assignments
About missing work....
I offered amnesty and a day to give me the work. Still missing. This is negatively affecting too many grades. Please make an appointment to talk with me if your grade is less than 70%.