- You need to print each of the population pyramids you find
- You can answer the questions below the pyramid or on the other side of the paper
- To create your pyramids in excel, follow the directions in the PDF
1. First go to this website http://www.census.gov/population/international/
2. Then click the blue "Data" tab
3. Then choose the "IDB" link; it says the following: International Data Base (IDB) Find demographic indicators, population pyramids, and source information for countries and areas of the world with a population of 5,000 or more.
4. From the International Data Base page, you can find population pyramids for specific countries:
1. Choose "Population Pyramids" under the SELECT REPORT drop-down box
2. Choose "2015" as your year
3. Hit SUBMIT
Questions for each pyramid
1. Describe the growth rates of each country supported by pyramid.
2. What stage of the Demographic Transition Model is the country in? How do you know
3. Find abnormalities if they exist and hypothesize why.
4. Based on the pyramid describe conditions in the country that create the pyramid shape and potential issues that may be present
5. What does the future look like? (Choose 2050 in the year drop-down box to make a prediction. You can include this graph if it helps your analysis)
Do the pyramids that you have chosen support the regional population patterns expressed in class? Why or Why not?
Make Your Own Pyramid:
How to: http://miedlarscience.com/sites/default/files/CreatingAgeStructureDiagramsExcel.pdf
Directions using the website to find your quantitative data:
1. Use the same website as earlier (http://www.census.gov/population/international/data/idb/informationGateway.php)
2. Choose a country you did not use above.
3. Choose "Population by Five Year Groups" under the SELECT REPORT drop-down box
4. Choose "2015" as your year
5. Hit SUBMIT.
6. Follow the directions in the PDF file below (you can download it below) and create your Population Pyramid Using Excel!