1. Customs and Culture: "How are you?" Culture Clash & Norms: read this article about the difference of American and Russian Customs.... how and why do our customs differ?
2. Language: "59 More Slang Phrases From The 1920s We Should Start Using Again" How language changes, a fun article! How has our use of language changed? (THIS has its own assignment!)
3. Culture, then and now: "At Arm's Length: A History of the Selfie" Changing culture-what does it say about us?
4. Saving Culture-why art and artifacts?: "Not All Monuments Men Were Men" an article that explore the women that help to save some of Europe's artistic masterpieces during and after WWII. Do you think what the women and men did was important? Why or why not? What modern masterpieces would you want saved?
5. Infrastructure, planning and population-did Atalanta Fail? "Atlanta Officials Gamble on Storm and Lose, and Others Pay the Price" A look at how 3 inches of snowfall shut down a major metropolitan area. What do you think about how Atlanta handled the weather?
6. Globalization and Product Endorsements v. Ethnic Conflict: "SodaStream: Guilt-Free Seltzer or Blood Bubbles?" and ARTICLE AND VIDEOS. Make sure to watch and read everything! Do you think Palestinians are paying a price?
7. Language and Culture: "Rio Journal: Too Much English Is Spoken in Brazil, Some Say" Yet another example of language conflicts-what is up with Brazil and the English language? Why is is a threat? http://www.nytimes.com/learning/teachers/featured_articles/20010516wednesday.html
8. Language and Culture: "Quebec's War on English: Language Politics Intensify in Canadian Province" Why is the proposed bill causing such an uproar?
Do one, do two, do all. Whatever you like. They are open and available until the Unit Test. Read the articles and answer the questions in the complete the attached document as you go. Yes, you have to print out.
#2 Slang words, # 7 Brazil and #8 Quebec are the ONLY articles to have their own documents. Everyone else choose the extra credit article doc.