1. Watch the Urban Models Video, Urban Models in MDCs, Urban Models in LDCs
- look at your Lesson 1: Urban Models Activity from class & your reading guide: What can you add to your knowledge? Identify and explain 3 new things.
- List and explain 3 differences between models in MDCs and LDCs.
- TESTBITE: take each of the three below (they're really, really short) and print your scores!
- Urban Models in LCDs TestBite, Urban Models in MCDs TestBite, Urban Models TestBite print out your quizzes.
Note: pay special attention to Burgess Model
2. Urbanization in MDCs
- What is counter-urbanization?
- Problems: traffic. How many of these examples do you see on a daily basis in Chicago? What are some possible solution?
- Why in inequality in the inner city such a problem? What types of problems arise?
- "Innner-city redevelopments, such as those in London's Docklands or Manchester's Salford Quays, may improve the physical environment of the area and improve the quality of housing. But it can also create even greater inequalities because the local residents may not be able to afford to live there anymore. Often the old industrial jobs are replaced by skilled jobs and new people move to the area." Which concept is this describing: urban revival, gentrification or ghettoization. EXPLAIN your answer.
- Urban/Rural Fringe: categorize the changes as positive and negative
- What is a brownfield and what is a greenfield? Where do you think you would find each in the US? Be specific-think regions! development!
- How does the Masdar City in Abu Dhabi illustrate the principals of a sustainable city?
- What is an "eco-town"?
- Think of the future of cities in MDCs, population, politics, planning, development, etc. Why do many people think the the solution for the future must be to make cities more sustainable.
- What are pros and cons of suburbanization and sprawl?
- TEST BITE: Print out your completed quiz!
3. Urbanization in LDCs
- What are causes of rapid growth in LDCs? Can you apply any of Ravensteins laws of migration to this situation? What are problems associated with it?
- What's a shanty town? Look up and find 2 pictures of shanty towns from 2 different regions. (Consult your regions map!)
- How can squatter settlements be improved?
- Can rapid growth in LDCs be managed in a sustainable way? Why or why not?
- TEST BITE: print out your completed quiz!
Due Monday: ALL OF THE ABOVE!!! Happy Weekend