Here is a replacements for:
Japan Case Study
Treating the elderly in Japan
"Who will look after Japan's elderly?"http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-31901943
1. Describe the dependency ratio in Japan.
2. List and explain some problems related to having an older population. What are social? economic>? political? consequences of having an older population?
3. What does "ethnically homogeneous countr[y]" mean? How does this affect their ability to offset the consequences of their population problems?
4. How does Japan's culture block any solution to their economic troubles?
5. How is Japan's workforce changing due to their population trend?
Then complete the exercise below to answer the 2 follow up questions:
Go to this website:
1. First go to this website http://www.census.gov/population/international/
2. Then click the blue "Data" tab
3. Then choose the "IDB" link; it says the following: International Data Base (IDB) Find demographic indicators, population pyramids, and source information for countries and areas of the world with a population of 5,000 or more.
4. From the International Data Base page, you can follow the instructions below to find the pyramids.
How to Use Website and Find Population Pyramids
1. Choose "Population Pyramids" under the SELECT REPORT drop-down box
2. Choose "2015" as your year
3. Hit SUBMIT.
1. Studying the population pyramid, hwow many Japanese are over 65? Give a rough percentage.
2. Looking at the pyramid and using prior knowledge, how might this affect their medical services?
US Case Study
New link for 6-9:
Navigate around this website to answer the questioins below (you're going to have to do a little digging and research on your own)
6. Where does the US rank among the nations of the world in terms of population?
7. Where does the US rank for life expectancy at birth?
8. What is the life expectancy at birth in the US?
9. Which country has the highest life expectancy at birth and which has the lowest?