•Half the world lives on one cup of rice a day.
•How much do you spend on food per day?
•I spend on about $4/day either on breakfast or a snack on the way home from work
•Very few people are completely isolated.
•Is it Good/bad?
•Led by transnational corporations.
•Conduct Research, place factories and sell products in many countries not just where its headquarters are located.
•Audi, Chrysler, HP, LG, Disney…
•Leads to more specialization at the local level.
•Valuable minerals, well-educated workers.
Globalization of Culutre
•Uniform cultural preferences produce uniform global landscapes
•Think fast food restaurants.
•Requires A common form of language…English.
•Creates a standardization of products but it doesn’t mean they want the same products.
•Think back to the McDonald’s Activity – What did they do to the “burger” in Germany?
Problems of Globalization:
•Can lead to intolerance between groups.
•Opposition to globalization led to the 9/11 attacks by al-Qaeda (targeted visible symbols of US denomination of globalization).
•Creates uniform landscape…
Leave a comment below...
What do you think of Globalization-is it beneficial or harmful? How does it make our world smaller? How does it create a uniform landscape and erase the uniqueness of place in cultural landscapes? How are you affected by globalization every day? How does the Northface Map illustrate globalization? (you do not need to answer each of these, rather these are a starting point to get you started)
(How will I be graded on a blog comment? See Below)
1. Originality- are you repeating what people said above you or are you taking the time to think about the topic and come up with an thoughtful response? If this does not provide enough information, USE YOUR TEXT BOOK!
2. Promptness. These assignments should be completed before class the next day
3. Grade Level Work and Complete Sentences: I'm not even going to explain to you that your work needs to use appropriate grade-level and content-vocabulary and you also need to write in complete sentences. Do it.
4. Comprehension-Do you understand the topic and does your answer show comprehension? If you're struggling, GOOGLE IT. Look for a youtube video. You have a research tool at your fingertips, make it work for you!
5. You MAY respond to other students' comments. If you agree, you need to add your own thoughts as well or add to the argument. If you disagree, explain why. Feel free to ask each other questions as well.