Use your day-to-day schedule to make sense of the changes below
1. Monday 4/28: Power of Place Video & Discussion
2. Tuesday 4/29: PPT & Discussions
3. Wednesday 4/30: Maquiladora Article and Questions
4. Thursday 5/1: REVIEW for Unit 6 Test: make sure to have the review questions completed to use in class!!!
5. Friday 5/2: Unit 6 Test- you can use your vocab & reading guide on test
DUE: Unit 6 Vocab, Reading Guide (Class/Book Notes), Take-home FRQ, Test Review
*** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Final Cumulative Map Quiz 5/6
Grand Review Needed in class 5/5
Follow the directions and answer the questions below
1. What is a megacity? (define! in your own words)
What is a world city? (define! in your own words)
2. Brainstorm! What are some benefits of a megacity? What are potential problems? (tie to HUG)
3. A. Watch and read: What kinds of challenges do megacities face?
B. A hundred years ago just 2 out of _________10 people on Earth lived in cities. Today ________________________________the world's population lives in cities, generating some 80 percent of global economic output. By the middle of this century,_________________ 10 people will be urban dwellers,
C. Use the visualization onf he bottom of the pages-what are the top projected megacities in EACH region of the world?
D. In your own words, why are urban "agglomerations so difficult to govern?
E. What is the role of infrastructure in megacities?
F. In your own words, what does globalization mean for megacities?
4. Dhaka Rising
A. What environmental problem forced the family at the beginning of the video to move? Why? Where did they move to?
B. How many migrants move to Dhaka each year? Using prior knowledge from the previous article and our population and migration unit, how would you classify the migrants? Where are they coming from? Ages? Sexes? Push/Pull factors?
C. Pay attention to the video clips-what do you see? Describe. What does Dhaka look like? What do the slums look like? What are people doing? How might having a rickshaw influence city design?
D. "Exploding slums of the developing world" What and where are developed countries? What is their role in the global scale? What challenges do they face? What are synonyms we have used in class to describe them?
E. With regards to Dhaka, what are some challenges they face with a population that doubles every decade in regards to infrastructure or clean water or the rule of the government? What are possible solutions?
F. CONNECT the information to the video to the articles we read about water.
G. The world of the slums and the world of the skyscrapers for the elite: what does that video clip reveal?
5. China to Create Largest Megacity
A. How is china planning to create the largest mega city?
B. Why is pollution a key problem?
6. Take a tour of Megacities around the world
A. For EACH MAP, describe what you see happnening
B. Write a 3-5 sentence summary of your observations.
1. What is one common "choke point" mega cities have?
Extension: If you aren't Megacity-ed out, explore this entire site: Rise of the MegaCities