Culture: Written Assignments & Activities
What to expect?
In this unit we will study the concepts of culture, cultural differences and regional patterns, and cultural landscapes and cultural identity
Download your assignments and print!
To be added to download:
Cultural Unit Project
Diffusion of Popular Culture-Music Paper
Language Conflicts Project
How can local and popular cultures be seen in the cultural landscape?
13. "The New Wars of Religion" Reading Stations-Are wars and conflicts related to religions truly about theology or about identity?
14. Interactive Notes- identities, complete in class as we lecture, put in class notes section of binder-includes "Residential Segregation" activity
15. ESPN Race in India-how does society create race and determine what is valued?
16. Rwanda Timeline-how can the construction of race be seen as a cause of the ethnic genocide in Rwanda?
17. Case Study-South Sudan: "Political Current of Water Management"-Read the article and analyze at home; in class work in cooperative groups to suggest solutions for water sustainability in Sudan and women's role
1. Answer Questions for Discussion Reading Guides - Culture
3. How is commodification and the authenticity of place related?
4. p 126: THINKING GEOGRAPHICALLY
4. Diffusion of Music: short essay. 2 pages should be enough.
5. CULTURE Project: Student Choice-You may choose the cultural autobiography or the cultural unit project. This will be due Friday March 7!!
6. Language: Coca-Cola SuperBowl Ad. Watch the ad and read the articles
Coca Cola's 'America the Beautiful' Super Bowl commercial angers conservative pundits
Coca-Cola's "America the Beautiful" Super Bowl Commercial Sparks Outrage on Twitter
Coca-Cola’s “It’s Beautiful” Super Bowl Ad Brings Out Some Ugly Americans
Q. Why did so many Americans and Conservative leaders find the commercial offensive? Do you find it offensive? Why or why not?
7. WEBQUEST Language & Identity: Gullah Webquest. See downloads. EXTRA CREDIT
8. Language Conflict Project: due 2/21. See downloads.
9. History of the English Language Infographic due February 14
10. Language Hide n' Seek in class activity
11. Religion Notemaking: see the document to the left to help you with your activity; activity distributed in class
12. Interactive Notes-Religions; complete in class and should be put into your class notes section of binder
More Assignments and Activities below: directions included